1.19.2012

What kind of bird are you?

The trailer for Moonrise Kingdom was released last week and there has been quite a bit of analysis of just how Wes Andersony it is. I think that it's safe to say the answer to that is very Wes Andersony. Maybe you love that, maybe you hate that. I can't help but love it. But I am, admittedly and if you couldn't tell, more than a bit of a nostalgic romantic. A few elements that I especially love:
this François Hardy song and these other things...

Letter writing in a Quonset hut with the cast of Grease in the background...

Shades of desaturated coral, puffy clouds, faded sea & sky blues, binoculars and a light house!

Camp nostalgia.
(All sorts of nostalgia, of course...)

Frances McDormand, paintings of ships, and megaphones.

Yellow filters and grassy fields.


Fantastically imaginary dream tree houses.

Artfully framed catastrophe.


More yellow.


And a dramatic departure from futura.


Let's all go see it together this spring.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Birg.
    Seriously looking forward to this movie.
    Just for fun, the petit wooden sailboat is a Beetle Cat.
    http://beetlecat.com/
    Super fun boats. I happened to have raced in this past summer's Beetle Cat National Championships in Weekapaug RI. Yep, I am a sailing dork.

    Later,

    -Carter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carter! I updated the link to the Beetle Cat site, thanks to you! I just love that boat...

      B

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails