9.06.2010

Simply messing about in boats...

Rowing out to view the Tall Ships in Boston Harbor

`This has been a wonderful day!' said he, as the Rat shoved off and took to the sculls again. `Do you know, I`ve never been in a boat before in all my life.' `What?' cried the Rat, open-mouthed: `Never been in a--you never--well I--what have you been doing, then?' `Is it so nice as all that?' asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks, and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him. `Nice? It's the ONLY thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing--about--in--boats; messing----' `Look ahead, Rat!' cried the Mole suddenly. It was too late. The boat struck the bank full tilt. The dreamer, the joyous oarsman, lay on his back at the bottom of the boat, his heels in the air.

The Wind in the Willows
Kenneth Grahame


Grandma Jane & Grandpa Bill, sailing on Green Lake

Heading back into the pretty little harbor at Five Islands, Maine


HAPPY LABOR DAY, BOATERS!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog...very cool! I love the pic of your grandparents and see some much of you in Grandma Jane.

    Your MO with the dog is brilliant and makes me want to get one...I would seem a lot less creepy on my own late night walks.

    Hope you are well. - Eric

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails